Photo ID Requirements
Identification is Required to Vote
Georgia Annotated Code Section 21-2-417 requires identification at the polls as follows:
Each elector shall present proper identification to a poll worker at or prior to completion of a voter's certificate at any polling place and prior to such person's admission to the enclosed space at such polling place.
Proper identification shall consist of any one of the following:
- A Georgia driver's license which was properly issued by the appropriate state agency;
- A valid identification card issued by a branch, department, agency, or entity of the State of Georgia, any other state, or the United States authorized by law to issue personal identification, provided that such identification card contains a photograph of the elector; *See below
- A vaild United States passport;
- A vaild employee identification card containing a photograph of the elector and issued by any branch, department, agency, or entity of the United States government, this state, or any county, municipality, board, authority, or other entity of the state;
- A vaild United States military identification card, provided that such identification card contains a photograph of the elector; or
- A valid tribal identification card containing a photograph of the elector.
Any elector who is registered for the first time in Georgia by mail, and did not provide identification at the time of registering, may provide one of the six (6) items of photo identification listed above, or for the electors' first time voting, may provide one of the following forms of identification:
- Copy of current utility bill
- Bank statement,
- Government check,
- Paycheck, or
- Other government document that shows the name and address of the elector.
Georgia Voter Identification Card
If you do not have one of the six acceptable forms of photo ID, the state of Georgia offers a FREE Voter Identification Card. An identification card can be issued at any county registrar's office or Department of Driver Services Office free of charge.
To Receive a voter identification card, the voter must provide:
- A photo identity document or approved non-photo identity document that includes full legal name and date of birth
- Documentation showing the voter's date of birth
- Evidence that the applicant is a registered voter
- Documentation showing the applicant's name and residential address
A sample Georgia Voter Identification Card